Monday, June 30, 2008

What I Made This Weekend

I made this necklace for the PCAGOE July Challenge,the theme of which is "Personal Hero". This was a difficult challenge for me. Normally, you would think of a person for this, and how else would you depict that person other than in figurine form?

Jimmy Carter is a personal hero of mine. I have admired him for a long, long time, and I really wanted to do something in his honor, but I quickly realized it was beyond the scope of my ability to sculpt him in polymer clay. The clay became some "happy accident" beads.

I went back to my comfort zone, which is jewelry design, and had to rethink my list of personal heroes. I decided that while there are many people whom I admire, there was really only one choice, and I knew it was right as soon as it came to me.

If I had to name my favorite holiday, it would be Thanksgiving, but July 4th is a very close second, and I started thinking about the men and women who sacrificed their lives so that I could be free today. I was going to pick one person to represent the group as a whole, but in the end, I couldn't do it, and decided to pay homage to memory of all the men and women in our country's history who fought and died so that we could live free today; and in honor of the men and women who continue to fight to keep us free. God Bless The USA!

If you like my entry, please go to www.pcagoe.com and vote for me between July 1 and July 3, 2008. Several lucky voters will win some fabulous polymer clay prize packs. Vote and you could be a winner, too!

Thanks! Lynda

1 comment:

calicodaisy said...

Very nice! Love the way the colors swirl around.