Thursday, July 3, 2008

Team SC Artist of the Week - CurlyFrySC

I'm putting up the TeamSC featured artist a day early this week because of the holiday tomorrow.

This week's featured artist is Taylor, a/k/a Curlyfrysc, who lor makes funky jewelry for the young and young at heart: Playful, unique and always fun. See more of Taylor's designs at www.curlyfrysc.etsy.com


Where in South Carolina do you live, and were you born here? If not, how long have you been in SC?

I was born in Spartanburg, SC and moved to the coast with my family (Mom, Dad, older sister) to a small town called Beaufort when I was 8 years old. That was 20 years ago. I lived in a small town in NC for a short time with my mom until I missed my friends so much that I asked to move back to Beaufort to live with my dad.

What do you like best about living in South Carolina?

Most of my family is in SC so it's hard to leave them behind. Besides, living near the ocean and having only two seasons and seeing Marines everyday...what is there NOT to like about this state?! :)

How long have you been involved in your craft, and how did you get started?

I found Etsy by accident. I saw a website in a magazine that I read and went to the link and that site actually had a link to Etsy. I stayed up into the wee hours just browsing the site. Then I signed up and started buying handmade items and saw all the jewelry on the site and said to myself, "I can do that!" so I bought a few supplies (off of Etsy!) and got to work. I opened shop one month after signing up with Etsy. I like making fun jewelry items. Things that catch peoples eye. I know that it's not for everyone but it's fun for me and I feel that's what matters most.


Do you work from your home, or do you have a brick and mortar store?

Ha! I wish I had my own boutique! This has been something I've wanted for a long time and my ideas for it grow from the lives I come in contact with. Until I win the lottery, I create my items from my floor by creating a semi-circle of my components in front of me. I pick some items and see how they'll work together and go from there.

Who or what inspires you?

I get ideas from magazines and other sellers on Etsy. I try not to copy anyone's style but when I see something that I haven't thought of, I try to implement it in my own way. I never create when I'm not in the mood. I feel if I push myself then the piece won't be from the heart. When the mood DOES hit me, I can put out half a dozen items in one sitting.

Do you have a method for remembering ideas you want to implement, such as a notebook or tape recorder, etc.?

I become my most creative when I'm in a place where there's no paper around...the shower; lying in bed. I've just now put a notepad on my nightstand, though! I can kick myself for saying, "I don't need to write it down, I'll remember it in the morning!"

What do you do when you hit a brick wall creatively and nothing is working?

I take a break when my creativity runs dry. No one is expecting me to make items day and night and I realize this isn't a job so I don't feel too guilty when I don't make something for a week or two. Life comes first.

What is the most rewarding, interesting, or even weirdest thing you’ve ever been asked to make?

This question doesn't apply to me. Everything I make is one-of-a-kind and since I can run out of supplies so quickly, custom items aren't really on my to-do list.

What are some of your goals for your craft, and where do you hope it will take you? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Appealing to the masses is one goal I have, but then that would mean trying to compete with the well-established sellers out there. I'm not looking for a big pay-off, I just want to do what I like and have fun doing it. I'm focused right now on getting better photographs of my items to make them more appealing. I'm always trying to make my packaging stand out because everyone knows that beautiful wrapping can make even the worst gift look good.

What are your hobbies, or how do you like to spend your free time, assuming you have any?

I love nature photography and would love to spend more time on that. I spend my Tuesday's with my husband over at my parents house and we have dinner and play a board game. That's something I really look forward to each week. I'm lucky to have them so close by. I also write poetry when I'm feeling the mood. I'm always trying to find new ways to decorate my home, too.

Now for the fun stuff!

Favorite color? Yellow and pink
Favorite food? Italian. I love pasta and Chicken Marsala is my favorite! Chinese is my other weakness.
Favorite song or musical artist? Pearl Jam
Favorite book or author? I love the Nero Wolfe Mysteries by Rex Stout. I mostly read horror novels, though. Bentley Little is my favorite.
Favorite movie, actor or actress? Michael Douglas!
And most importantly, Clemson or Carolina? Clemson, of course!

I'd like to add that I have a cute little kitty cat (10 years old!) named Peanut Butter. He's my baby!

1 comment:

Taylor said...

Thanks, Lynda!
I had fun. :)