Friday, August 8, 2008

Spotlight on PCAGOE Artist - Stormy Designs

This week I'm turning the spotlight on PCAGOE member Stormy of www.stormydesigns.etsy.com. Stormy creates unique sculptures, art, home decor, art jewelry and accessories from polymer clay. Her seahorses and dragons are instantly recognizable for their amazing detail and embellishments, such as crystals and gemstones.

So Stormy, tell me a little about what got you started working with
polymer clay




I had started beading again and wasn't happy with the selection of beads in the local craft store. Seems the color or size of their beads wasn't what I was needing. Frustrated I asked a dear online friend about her beading and she got to talking about polymer clay and how she was making her own beads. She encouraged me to try it out and said that I would love it. She was right, and now I rarely buy store bought beads.

Do you have a certain design style or favorite technique?

Since I'm still much a newbie, I've only been working with polymer clay since April 2007, I have yet to find my own style. I'm having alot of fun trying out many different techniques though.

Who or what inspires or influences you?

Other artists inspire me. It was the work of Christi Friesen that inspired me to do my first dragon sculpture. Many artists, especially those members of the Polymer Clay Central forum and the PCAGOE inspire me. Their work is amazing.

Do you have a plan before you make a piece, or do you just
go with the flow?


It depends on what I'm making. Sometimes I plan something and have to change the design several times to make it work. Sometimes I just pick up the clay and start playing and make something just out of my head. I see a really neat blend of colors or piece of Mokume Gane that would be perfect for a pendant or something, and I'll stop what I'm doing and work on it. My muse usually has full rein when I clay, which often results in several unfinished projects sitting while I work on something else.

Other than Etsy, where can your creations be found?

I have some of my creations in my eCrater shop, http://stormydesigns.ecrater.com

What are some of your goals for your craft, and where do you hope it will take you? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I would like to develop a few successful selling items. I would like to be able to support my clay habit and have a little left over. In 5 years, who knows? Maybe teaching? I just enjoy claying.

What are your hobbies, or how do you like to spend your free time, assuming you have any?

Besides claying, I like to read a good novel, walk my dog, enjoy nature. Photographing nature and animals, watching the deer and other critters that live in our woods.

Favorite color? Purple although I wear black mostly.
Favorite food? Anything chocolate.
Favorite book or author? Nora Roberts is my favorite author, I've read every book our local library has of hers.
Favorite TV shows? Grey's Anatomy, Men In Trees, Army Wives

2 comments:

storybeader said...

Stormy looks like she does much more than make beads! Love her fish and I have one of her business card couches.xfmilmc

Amanda said...

Lynda,

Great interview with Stormy!!

I'm tagging you! If you would like to participate, please create a blog post listing 7 random facts about yourself most people might not know. When you're finished, please tag 7 people yourself you would like to learn more about.

Check out my blog, http://confessionsofacraftymom.blogspot.com for more info!

Hugs,
Amanda