Tuesday, September 23, 2008

PCAGOE Artist of the Week - Pollyhyper

This week, I am delighted to get to interview Holly of pollyhyper, a member of the Polymer Clay Artist Guild of Etsy, or PCAGOE. Holly is in charge of our monthly newsletter at the guild, and she does a wonderful job.

So, Holly, tell me a little about yourself.

I'm 32, married, with 2 dogs and 2 cats. I'm obsessed with contrast and find the extremes of light and dark very visually appealing.

How long have you been crafting, and besides polymer clay, what kinds of materials do you use in your creations?

I've been crafting forever - I was one of those children who LOVED to make things - anything - and, if possible, sell it. I had a friendship bracelet and sticker business in grade school. Needless to say, it was not the path to prosperity.

Who or what inspires you?

PCAGOE members inspire me, showing me how far one can take polymer clay in so many different directions. I'm inspired by everything around me - nature, man-made items, light and shadow, great films and directors like Jim Jarmusch who bring the beauty of a great photograph to every frame of his films.

What is your favorite technique?

I'm a little obsessed right now with light and dark and creating silhouettes of all kinds.

What do you like best about being part of PCAGOE?

Constant learning, camaraderie, exchange of ideas. If I have a question, or am thinking of trying something new, someone in the PCAGOE always has an answer for me!

Other than Etsy, where could someone find your work?

Right now, you can see some of my photo restoration work at my website, secondimpressionphoto. In the near future, I'll be working with hippiecrap on some collaborative jewelry.

When you have free time, how do you like to spend it?

Free time? What is that? I have vague memories. When I do have free time, I like to spend it at home - I'm a homebody - crafting, cooking, gardening, or just spending time with my husband.

What are your goals for your craft, and where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I'd really love to get to the point where I can take this craft to more of an "art" level. I'd also love to be able to at least supplement my income with money made doing art so that I can go part-time at my day job and be able to devote more time to art.

Now for the fun stuff!

Favorite Food or Cuisine? Indian

Favorite Color? Purple

Favorite Song or Musical Artist? Jeff Buckley (although it's hard to choose just one!)

Favorite Book or Author?
The Time Traveler's Wife, also anything by Neil Gaiman or Christopher Moore.

Favorite Movie, Actor or Actress? I admit it, I have a big thing for Vince Vaughn.


Thanks, Holly! Great interview, and amen on brother Vince. He's a hottie! To see more of the featured items and other items Holly created, click these links.

Love Potion #9 Necklace
Victorian Miss Framed Pin and Pendant
By The Seashore Mixed Media Necklace

No comments: