Friday, April 15, 2011

Asian Inspired Focals

Japan has been on my mind lately, of course, with the devastating Tsunami destruction all over the news. My heart goes out to the people there who lost loved ones, homes and livelihoods. My creative thoughts naturally turned to Asian themed pieces.

I have had these Newsprint Jasper puff coins for several months but couldn't find a use for them. I love the patterns in natural Jaspers and Agates. Aren't they amazing? I set out to duplicate the Newpsprint Jasper pattern using one of my faux jade color recipes, which matches very well, and these pendants were the result. Not too shabby a match, eh? I've got more of these in different colors planned.





Faux Newsprint Jasper Pendant 3Faux Newsprint Jasper Pendant 2

Faux Newsprint Jasper Asian Calligraphy Pendant Faux Newsprint Jasper and Black Honeycomb Pendant

I had a few scraps left over which I incorporated into a small batch of faux jade clay and made these Cylinder Beads; and continuing the Asian theme, created these Faux Bone Bamboo Textured Cylinder Beads and this Faux Bone Bronze Antiqued Asian Calligraphy Pendant. I believe the top piece of the pendant is a tax stamp or duty seal of some sort. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Faux Jade Asian Calligraphy Cylinder Beads Faux Jade Asian Calligraphy Cylinder Beads

Bamboo Textured Cylinder Focal Beads Bamboo Textured Cylinder Focal Beads

Faux Bone Bronze Antiqued Asian Calligraphy Pendant

All of these pieces, with the exception of the bamboo textured cylinder beads, were sanded through 8 grits of wet-dry sandpaper and buffed with a Dremel. The bamboo beads were treated with Renaissance Wax Polish for a softer finish.

7 comments:

Bonnie Kreger at B-LEE KREATIONS said...

Lynda, those are gorgeous. I just got my stuff in the mail to try your tutorial which I will say again is absolutely marvelous. I hope to try it Sunday when I have some free time.

Those are gorgeous, I'm awestruck.

Norma's Bag Boutique said...

Beautiful! Nice homage to Japan. The bamboo beads are awesome.

artybecca said...

oooh...love that black honeycomb with the tiny green stripes!
I like your faux samples better than the real stone!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you, friends! Rebecca, that one was very popular, it has already sold. :)

Laurel said...

Not too shabby???!!! Those are truly, madly, deeply, phenomenally gorgeous! You are approaching master status, my friend!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you, Laurel. I really appreciate the compliment my friend.

SueBeads said...

Those are just fantastic!