Sunday, August 14, 2011

August ABS Entry - Ramsdell Art Nouveau Necklace

The theme for this month's Art Bead Scene challenge is inspired by Frederick Winthrop Ramsdell's Art Nouveau illustration for American Crescent Cycles, created by him in 1899.  

To be honest, I was not crazy about the art for this month's challenge when I first saw it. I was going to pass on the challenge because I thought the colors drab, and a little boring. 

Everything I had in the old gem box was too bright and seemed to make the colors even more dreary.  I looked at the image some more and eventually decided I didn't have anything that would suit, so I took myself shopping, cruising through my favorite virtual gem and bead stores.  Then I remembered that LimaBeads.com has a new line of Czech glass, and I bought all these and more.   The initial pendant size I was going to use was much larger, but the beads still made the colors seem awfully boring.  I decided to make the image smaller (much smaller) and see what happened.   I think it turned out okay.



13 comments:

JuLee said...

Just OK, Lynda? I think your piece is absolutely gorgeous. The setting you put it in is marveleous. This is one of my most favorite work of art you have ever done. You just keep getting better and better. Will it be for sale?

artybecca said...

I think it looks pretty fantabulous too! Looks like the perfect jewelry for a nice autumn outfit.

m.e. said...

You think it turned out OK ???
Lynda,it turned out to be FANTASTIC!!!!
I love those muted colors !
Maybe they don't shout...
But,you made them Sing
Sophisticated Style !!!
m.e. :)

Lupe Meter said...

Not just OK...beautiful, Lynda!! I love the design! Awesome work!

Laurel said...

I hate you. In a good way! This piece is gorgeousness!!!!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

It is so nice to have such wonderful friends! Thank you, ladies. I really appreciate all your lovely compliments.

Suzanne said...

It's beautiful, the beads, colors, findings, pendant I'd say perhaps better than okay? I think stunningly elegant says it much better!

Barbara Lewis said...

OMG!@ I received your pendant the other day and I'm in love! Thank you so very much! I can't wait to work with it!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you, ladies.

Barbara, I am so happy you love the pendant. I hope you'll send me photos of your necklace design, too!

TesoriTrovati said...

This is way more than okay... it is beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us. Enjoy the day!
Erin

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you for the wonderful comments, my friends; and thank you, Erin, for featuring the necklace in the blog hop today at ABS! :)

Jo said...

Wow! Such a beautiful necklace! The setting is just gorgeous.

Tracy said...

Stunning pendant and design and perfect for the challenge!