Saturday, August 20, 2011

What To Do While You're Waiting For An Escaped Convict To Be Recaptured

... and you are alone, in your house with your neighborhood on lockdown all day. Well, you jump at every sound, and think you hear him at the window every 5 minutes; and you try to go about your day in a normal way and don't even think about what you're going to do when it gets dark and he still hasn't been apprehended...

Yeah, that's the way my day has gone. It's 12:47 a.m. now and the idiot is still on the loose. Yesterday, he overpowered a deputy, beat him up, and escaped police custody while being transported from one prison to another. Now he is armed with the deputy's Glock and shotgun, and has managed to elude 150 local, state and federal police and 3 teams of bloodhounds, even though they surrounded him in a cemetery 2 blocks from my house at 7:30 a.m. this morning. He has tried to hijack two cars in the neighborhood and broke into a house to use the rest room and change clothes. The police think he is still in the woods behind the cemetery, which is way too close for comfort, or a good night's sleep, so here I am, sitting up in front of the laptop with all the lights on, inside and outside.


I actually managed to get some new pendants and earrings done today. Fear is a great motivator, apparently. I thought it would be more difficult to churn things out while looking over my shoulder constantly, but I am happy with most of them.

I went back to my comfort zone, playing with alcohol inks, translucent clay, and embossing powder. I started experimenting with layering colors, peeling back bits of each layer with a blade and then adding more translucent clay and either more alcohol ink or more embossing powder. I must say, I do like these, very much.


I bought some indigo blue and copper raku beads recently, and thought the colors looked really good together, so I tried making some blue and copper pieces. The black and turquoise whitewashed hashmark earrings are from a dab of scrap clay I had sitting on my table today. I have been trying to think of a way to use these tiny silver end caps, and they fit the horse eye shape perfectly.


I was supposed to be finishing three new tutorials for the shop today, but my mind just wasn't on that with everything else going on. I will have to do that tomorrow for sure, though, whether or not the idiot gets captured.

6 comments:

Julz said...

Oh my gosh, Lynda...how scary indeed. Lets hope this person is found and dealt with soon. However...how delish your new bits are...mmmm!!!
Stay safe beautiful lady...thinking of you xxx

Norma's Bag Boutique said...

OMG! Like taken from a movie. Wouldn't like to be there. Your pendants are beautiful. Love them.

Bonnie Kreger at B-LEE KREATIONS said...

Lynda, I'm so glad you are ok. That happened to us last summer at my sister's cabin. We left and went to Wal-Mart. Sounds like that wasn't an option for you. Your pieces are gorgeous though. You sure work better under pressure than anyone I know. I think you need a big, big dog. :0)

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you, my friends. I'm breathing a lot easier today, for sure. I appreciate all your kind thoughts and best wishes, too.

Bonnie, I have a 38 with teeth, does that count? LOL Actually, I'm a cat person, but I have one that growls like a dog. Only problem is, she weighs all of 4 pounds, not a very big deterrent!

Sally Anderson said...

This was so scary just reading about it. Did they get the guy? Did you get any sleep at all? Your new pieces are beautiful so I'm glad he didn't take away your creativity -- just your peace of mind.

Donna DeCicco said...

Lynda, I'm happy you're okay and you were smart to put all the lights on, especially outside, nowhere for him to hide, very scary!
I love your new pendants, specially the orange/green, do you have gold leaf in those? You do beautiful work, I love your faux jade!
Donna
donnadecicco@yahoo.com