Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Back In Gear



It felt so good to get my hands on a bunch of polymer clay again.  I spent the weekend trying to get the cobwebs out of my brain and back into creative mode.  

I don't know about you, but when I get back into the studio after being away from it for awhile, I try to keep my expectations low for the first couple of pieces.  I call them the throwaways.  They usually don't even make it into the Butt Uglies jar.  They go straight to the trash can.      

I started with two basic color batches:   One with tomato red, olive green, white, black, and a touch of lavender.   The other batch was slate blue, tan, brick red, black and white.   

The first color batch was intended for more pieces to add to my Southwestern Landscapes series.  


I love the tertiary colors found in the Southwestern U.S., including mustard yellow, tomato red, sage green, turquoise, aubergine, burnt orange, etc.  


The series is very popular with my local customers and my Etsy shop customers, and I can always use more inventory, so I started with some simple marbled earrings.  favorite.  Making earrings has become my new favorite thing to do with polymer.  


I used to resist them, because my OCD tendencies would kick in and I would get very frustrated if both pieces in a pair weren't exactly the same.  


Earrings are also popular with my customers, and I can't make too many to have on hand, so I decided this past weekend the Studio would be Earring Central.  


I changed the color palette a little and deleted the olive green and added some slate blue and a good bit of translucent clay.  

This "bargello" pattern is a favorite I've used several times.  It's a rounded bargello, not a zig zag pattern, but I still think it qualifies.  

These little heart earrings are really sweet, unfortunately, the photos don't do them justice.  


Next weekend, I hope to get started on some new tutorials.  I'm still taking suggestions, if anyone has any ideas for topics.  

   






11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh YAY! And boy are you ever back!! These are stunning and your eye for color combinations is brilliant.

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thanks so much, Shannon!

Lupe Meter said...

We missed you!! Glad you are back and these lovelies are evidence of it!! Beautiful earrings!!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you, Lupe! It's good to be back with you all! :)

Kathy Weaver said...

I can't wait for the new tutorial! I love everyone I have of yours! (I think all of them!)..

Gaina said...

Ah, your muse came back with a vengeance, that's wonderful! I love that colour palette :).

I aspire to that lovely sheen on my work that you get...but I have to make something first!! I will get into my P.C. again when the weather turns, I promise! ;)

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you, Kathy. You are the best! :) I'll let you know when the first one is ready. I'm still taking suggestions for themes, too!

Thank you, Gaina. Get out the sandpaper! LOL 8 grits and a lot of elbow grease go into those sheens.

Renee Dauphin said...

I'm glad you're back, too! I love my tutorials from you, I refer to them all the time. I'd like to see a tutorial showing how you do your blends (I love the lavender dragonfly blends!!) Thanks!!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you, Renee. I think that may be the first new tutorial I publish!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dalia Lopez said...

Great blog yoou have here